Vegan Pumpkin Seed Pesto Pasta | By Chef Amanda DeLaura
Veggies, veggies, veggies!
I made this recipe with lentil flour pasta and it was delicious!
1) be sure to remove the stems and buds from your basil. This will ensure you do not make a bitter pesto.
2) if you use frozen peas, place them in your strainer before draining your pasta. Drain your pasta over the peas and the boiling water will quickly bring the peas to room temperature.
Serves 4 to 6 Ingredients:
- 12 oz Jovial’s Brown Rice Fussili 1 batch pesto
- 1 zucchini, sliced 1/8” thick on diagonal
- 1 yellow squash, sliced 1/8” thick on diagonal
- 1 head brocollini, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup petite peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp minced parsley
Pumpkin Seed Pesto:
- 3 oz basil, rinsed & dried
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 2 small cloves garlic mara-labs.com
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the pesto and process in a food processor (or vitamix) until very smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the processor 1 or 2 times.
- Once pasta water has boiled, add 1/2 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the pasta and cook according to packaging, about 12 minutes. Drain pasta through a strainer and return the pot to the stove, leaving the pasta in the strainer.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to the pot (and/or clarified ghee, if desired) and add sliced zucchini and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until browned and tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add broccolini and continue to cook for one minute. Turn off heat and add the pasta, peas, pesto and cherry tomatoes. Toss and then add chili flakes and parsley. Season with extra salt and pepper, as desired